The case for reincarnation

C_D
Site Admin

The case for reincarnation

Post by C_D » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:38 pm

I wouldn't have believed it either, until it happened to me. Apologies for the 'me, me, me' nature of this post.

I believe in reincarnation, but I haven't always.

A series of events have occured across my lifetime that, occuring individually, appeared unconnected.
Until one day -BAM! They connected and became obvious.
But I should start at the beginning.

My earliest childhood memories. Becoming self-aware. The point at which the inner me took hold and started thinking for itself. Questioning, assimilating, collating, reasoning and reacting to external stimuli. The inner me that is internal - private, inviolable and untouchable - and the inner me that directs and controls the outer me that interacts with the world. The inner me always knows the right answer for me.

When a workplace boss that I cannot stand walks into the room, it's the inner me that says to itself 'oh shit, not him again', but the outer me that says out loud: 'hello, old chap, how are you?' and forces a smile onto my face. Maybe I'm fake. Maybe I'm high-functioning schizo. But I seem to do a lot of this to get along in the reality we live in.

My first inner me memory is that I was killed by a wound to the head.

This didn't seem odd at all. After all, I assumed everyone else was like my inner me, that they had memories of a similar nature. It seemed perfectly normal to inner me and didn't warrant discussion with anyone else. It did affect my outer life though - loud noises of any description made my nerves jangle - because the strongest memory of my previous death was the noise, the unbelievably loud noise that accompanied the moment something went through my skull, as experienced by the previous inner me at the moment of death. I had an inner me passenger.

Leap forward to my mid-30's. A perfectly (ab)normal day - shopping with partner at local large town - just about to enter a shopping centre and *zapman* - I was suddenly and totally in another existence, standing in open countryside - a field of shin-high grass with the sun directly above, the grass swaying in a light breeze that gently caressed every exposed hair on my body. Hills of green and subdued blue rolled gently in the background. I could sense being surrounded by the deep love and respect of other people - unseen, but nethertheless - there. My deep reverie as I stood marvelling at the beauty of the world was rudely interrupted by a sound that sent a chill through my bones - that of a sword being withdrawn from it's sheath. A highly distinctive sound and one which (in this life) I have been fascinated by - however, in this new reality, it harbingered doom. I was about to stand and fight, amongst my peers, for my life and the life of my loved ones. I could feel myself connected to each and every member of my group - we were all experiencing the same experience. It was perhaps the most intensely personal feeling I have ever felt.
Then, like a switch being thrown, I was suddenly back in this reality.

Fast forward to my early 40's. Sat at my home PC, one wednesday morning - when, completely out of the blue, I felt as though the top of my head opened on a hinge - and vast amounts of something poured into my mind. The top of my head then snapped shut. I immediately felt more 'enlightened'. My fingers automatically began to type 'child re-incarnation' into google and I was led towards Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Their Past Lives by Jim Tucker. Look into it if you're interested.

It transpires that quite a few children who remember past lives also have birthmarks - in the exact spot where the wound that killed them in a previous life occured. Later that day, I was explaining it all to my partner who went a little pale whilst I was telling her. She had immediately made the connection between the ugly, purple birthmark on the back of my head - which is hidden from general view by my hair - the age-old belief I had died from a blow to the head and the possibilities of re-incarnation. This revelation came as quite a shock to me and suddenly everything fell into place - reincarnation is a real possibilty.
Since that time my belief has grown stronger, due to the nature of reality and The Way Things Work.

Anyone else got any experiences of reincarnation?

PS - Readers Digest article about children that remember reincarnation - http://www.rd.com/health/conditions/chi ... n-stories/

BigEyeTenor

Re: The case for reincarnation

Post by BigEyeTenor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 pm

No doubts at all about this. If you read the work of Tucker and Ian Stevenson, it's quite clear this happens all the time and is part of existence.

What it actually is, that's the question. Whether it's an actual transmigration of the soul or some sort of memory dump into someone else. Or both, or something we could never wrap our minds around.

I have had my own weird experiences, although nothing as concrete as yours. And one of my children, at an extremely young age, also announced one day he used to be somebody else. Gave us details and even a name.

What is often common to both "ghost stories" and these accounts is a sudden and unexpected death.

deep state

Post by deep state » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 pm

I'd agree with BET here: there's a big leap from remembering events that did not happen to oneself and presuming a soul package migrating from one body to the next. This is only one interpretation but it happens to be the one that has been picked up and run with, so we have a pretty clear-cut notion of "reincarnation" but not one of ancestral souls, say, which may be an older belief system still and where my own money is currently placed. It would be interesting to try and determine what percentage of "past life memories" pertain to the lives of (close or distant) ancestors of the person remembering.

If the dead are still among us and one of the primary ways they communicate with us is via dreams and other kinds of visions, that could create a whole matrix of reincarnation belief based on mis-interpretation of the data (and above all, on taking ownership of it, ie anything that enters into our awareness becomes "ours").

I strongly suspect that the notion of an individual soul is oxymoronic, an extension of the mind's self image of the body onto the eternal (or at least, the transpersonal and relatively long-term). I could be wrong, and kind of hope so, who doesn't want to think they get to have an endless series of new lives?

(That said, the thought of being born into whatever future we are currently creating for ourselves is pretty dire. It's a comfort knowing I won't be leaving the future to my children.)

But reincarnation is just too damn linear (& literal) a model for me to believe in, all told.

BigEyeTenor

Post by BigEyeTenor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 am

While I sure don't have a clue about the mechanisms or reasons for these phenomena, I have often wondered about powerful resonances in my own life. Such as occasionally meeting someone that I swear I've met before. I once had a girlfriend with whom I had the spookiest and most powerful connection, beyond anything I knew was possible. It went beyond this rather pedestrian physical incarnation and seemed to actually be otherworldly and actually was impossible to work out in this day-to-day physical reality. It really changed the way I thought about the world, and people, and reality. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to realize that it couldn't work out. It seemed like maybe we weren't supposed to have actually met. It was a cosmic accident.

I also once met a woman who seemed to already be an ex. She just felt, immediately, like an ex. I was attracted to her and could tell that she was to me but there was also an overwhelming sensation and she and I had already been down that road and exhausted it already. So weird.

Things like that.

Also I wonder if we keep repeating lives in order to advance to higher spiritual levels. Tibetan Buddhist believe we have some say in choosing our parents. Do do some us, feeling a little cocky, request an especially challenging course for our next life? Why wouldn't we? Especially if we're getting bored or starting to think it's getting too easy?

Also is it possible some of us are rewarded with cushy assignments for various reasons? What if you were a martyr and suffered horribly, perhaps you come back as a charming, attractive person who attracts, money, talent, fame and all the most desirable sexual partners? Because I know people like that.